In Canada, hockey isn't just a sport. It is a way of life. Canadians love their hockey; it is our national game that many have been watching and playing since they were kids. Hockey betting Canada is a huge part of the enjoyment many get from the game, but finding the right ways to place bets on the sports is important. At My Betting Canada, we provide extensive, user-friendly reviews of betting sites to give you all the info you need to make smart betting decisions. Below, we’ll be exploring the best hockey betting sites available to Canadians right now. We'll be exploring all aspects of these operators, from their betting apps to their online betting bonus offers, paying particular attention to how they handle hockey betting online. Hockey fans and bettors, are you ready? Let’s get started.
Hockey Betting Sites in Canada - A User’s Guide
What makes Hockey Betting Sites Good
At My Betting Canada, our job is to review sports betting sites from the perspective of a user. We only review legal betting sites in Canada that are safe and secure. When it comes to hockey betting sites, there are a lot of different things that can set them apart. No sportsbook is the same, and they each have distinguishing aspects that can either improve the user experience or make it worse.
Whether we are discussing new betting sites or old ones, what we look for in an operator remains consistent. There are several criteria that we believe define hockey betting online. Here are some of the different aspects that make a hockey betting website either good or bad.
- Hockey Coverage: This is a hugely important component of a betting site. What coverage defines is whether they cover the hockey games and leagues bettors are looking for. Do they take bets for NHL games? If you prefer other leagues, do they provide odds for those?
- Betting Offers and Promotions: We’ll discuss these in more detail later, but betting offers and promotions are the different bonuses and incentives sportsbooks offer. Some of the best sports betting offers are for hockey promos, so keep your eyes peeled.
- Markets: Markets are the different ways to bet that a website has. They are the actual outcomes that a website has odds on. Every website will have Moneyline bets, but what sets operators apart is whether they have good player props and game props available.
- Features: We’ll dive more into features later on, but to put it succinctly, features are the different unique ways to use a website that sportsbook has. They’re the fun additions to an operator that differentiate it from others.
- Mobile Experience: The mobile experience is important, and we’ll be breaking down which operators have the best hockey betting app later. It is important that a sportsbook provides good mobile options to users.
- User Interface: The user interface is how a sportsbook looks. Is it well designed? Does it function well on the computer? These are important considerations for a good operator.
Top Hockey Betting Sites
If you are looking to place a hockey bet, here are five of the operators we’d recommend you use!
- Pros: Sports Interaction is made by Canadians for Canadians, so naturally, they’re going to have great hockey coverage. They have an extremely appealing website with a great interface. They have prop offerings for NHL games, which is rare.
- Cons: The only major issue with Sports Interaction for hockey bettors is that they don’t have a dedicated mobile app, and their promotional offerings are limited.
- Welcome Bonus: 100% Matched Deposit Up to $100 in Free Bets
- Pros: Betway is a long-established operator that has a lot of fun promotions specific to hockey, including some NHL you lead, you win bonuses. They have a large variety of markets, a clean website design, a great mobile app, and top-notch security.
- Cons: There aren’t many holes to poke in Betway. One of the only objections I’ve seen to Betway is that they do have some extensive terms and conditions on a few of their bonuses.
- Welcome Bonus: 100% Matched Deposit Up to $200
- Pros: 888Sport is an operator that provides one of the biggest sportsbooks around. They have huge hockey coverage, making them a great choice for bettors. They are also well-known for the extensive promotions you can find and the fun and easy-to-use website. They have several promotions specific to hockey.
- Cons: Customer support is an important component of a sportsbook, and while 888Sport does have some good options, they lack a phone line 24/7 for Canadians.
- Welcome Bonus: 100% Matched Deposit Up to $250 on First Deposit.
- Pros: Fezbet is a brand new operator, and it has a ton to offer. For starters, the website is extremely appealing and intuitive. They also have one of the larger sportsbooks you can find, with a massive selection of different hockey markets and leagues covered. They also have top-notch promotional offerings, so you won’t get bored here fast.
- Cons: Fezbet has a couple of downsides, but that doesn’t stop it from being a great operator. For starters, there is no mobile app for Fezbet users, but there is a great mobile-optimized website. There is no phone line for Fezbet as well, so you’ll have to settle for their LiveChat option.
- Welcome Bonus: 100% Matched Deposit Up to $150.
Best Hockey betting app
Betting apps allow Canadians to take their enjoyment of sportsbooks on the go. There aren’t too many operators that provide betting apps for their users, so finding a good one is important. A dedicated mobile app allows you to bring your favourite hockey betting sites with you wherever you go. Most operators don’t have some, but many have great mobile sites and downloadable mobile packages. Let’s look at some of the great mobile options lovers of hockey betting Canada will enjoy.
- Bodog: Bodog is one of the oldest and most established operators around. They have a great mobile website that functions great on iOS and Android.
- Betway: Betway has a top-notch downloadable mobile app available to Canadians. It brings the enjoyable Betway experience bettors are familiar with to a mobile format.
- Tonybet: Tonybet has a great mobile website on offer. You can keep it on your phone, and it will keep you auto-logged in, storing your preferred bet types and details. It is a fun mobile experience.
Top Hockey betting sites features
There are certain differentiating features that may make one website better than another. Features are the unique ways to use an operator that define their value, the ways to enjoy the sportsbook that set it apart. Every operator has different features. If you want to hockey bet on a betting website with great features, you need to know what the most ideal features are. Let’s explore some of the features that we believe the best hockey betting sites should provide their users.
- Live Hockey Betting: Live betting sites allow users to place bets on hockey games while they are already underway. The odds change as the game plays out, so if one team scores a goal, their odds to win will increase. This feature is available on websites like GGBet, Funbet, Shangri La, and more.
- Crypto Hockey Betting: Cryptocurrency is all the rage these days, and while people love to trade with it, others like to bet. Crypto betting is a payment option that allows users to deposit and withdraw with cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum. It is available on operators like Bodog.
- Hockey Bet Builders: Bet Builders is a very fun feature that hockey fans will love. Bet Builders allow bettors to create customized same-game parlays that can lead to some massive winnings. Bettors can combine hockey props and spreads into fun combos on websites like Tonybet, and Betway.
- Cash Out and Partial Cash Out: Cash Out is a feature that allows bettors to exit their bet before it is over. If you are hockey betting online, you can receive certain payouts before the game is over. If you Cash Out while your bet looks likely to hit, you’ll receive a higher payment than what you staked. If you Cash Out while your bet is unlikely to hit, you will receive less money than you put in. It is a great way to ensure some winnings or get some money back and is available on most operators.
- Statistics Page: A Statistics Page is a rare feature that can benefit bettors. You can access a huge number of relevant stats on the games you are trying to bet, finding out info on team performance, player performance, and more. It will help instruct your hockey betting strategy.
Best Hockey Betting Bonuses and Promotions
Bonuses and promotions are the offers that sportsbooks have to entice users to place bets. Every operator will have different kinds of bonuses and promotions available to their users that can provide some serious value to the users. A bonus is often some type of “gift” to the user that can be claimed by betting a certain type of way. There are free bet offers, welcome bonuses, and much more.
Claiming a bonus can be done by opening an account and depositing. You can typically find bonuses and promos by heading to the Promo page on a website. The Promo page is typically listed on the upper toolbar, and by clicking on it, you can see what is currently available. Promos change throughout the year, often cycling based on the major sporting events. Websites will typically offer big promos for big events, like Stanley Cup free bets.
The most important thing with promos is to look at the terms and conditions. Many sportsbooks hide important rules in the terms and conditions of the bonuses that change how the promo is used. These can alter the value negatively if they are stringent.
Let’s look at some of the different kinds of promos that may be relevant to hockey betting Canada.
- Free Bet Offers: Free Bets are when sportsbooks provide completely free bets to their users. Oftentimes, users will need to do something to get a free bet. An example of a bonus like this would be if you bet $20 on NHL games, you get a $5 free bet.
- Parlay Boosts: Parlay Boosts are when sportsbooks boost winnings on parlay bets by a certain percentage. These are riskier bonuses to engage with because there is no certainty of receiving anything. An example of a Parlay Boost would be winnings boosted 15% on parlays of 6 legs or more.
- Boosted Odds: Boosted Odds are when a sportsbook takes certain lines and makes them more favourable to gamblers. They increase the line to make the payout better for their users. This is a great bonus that has a lot of value. An example of a Boosted Odds bonus would be if a sportsbook boosted the odds of Connor McDavid scoring and the Edmonton Oilers winning from +200 to +350.
- You Lead, You Win: The You Lead, You Win promo is another one that has a lot of value for gamblers. It basically means that if a team a user bet on is winning by a certain margin, sportsbooks count it as a win regardless of what happens in the rest of the game. An example of a You Lead, You Win bonus is if an NHL team gets a 2-0 lead, the bet cashes.
- Welcome Offers: Welcome Offers are the biggest promotions, the ones that incentivize users to sign up. Welcome bonuses are present on just about every betting site on the internet. They typically come in the form of matched deposits. An example of a welcome bonus would be a 100% matched first deposit up to $100.
Important Hockey Betting Details
In this section, we’re going to reveal some of the need-to-know information about betting on hockey. We’re going to explain the different markets and bet types, the different rules surrounding hockey betting, and the top hockey leagues and tournaments. Hopefully, this should provide you with all you need to know to start hockey betting online.
Markets and Bet Types
Markets and bet types are the different things bettors are actually wagering on. They are the different outcomes that bettors are projecting to either happen or not happen. Let’s look at some of the different markets and bet types you can find on the best hockey betting sites.
- Moneyline: A Moneyline bet is the simplest option. Betting a team on the Moneyline means you’ve picked them to win. If you bet the Maple Leafs on the Moneyline, they need to win the game for your bet to cash.
- Puck Line: The Puck Line is the hockey version of the point spread. The Puck Line is always-1.5, meaning whoever is favourited in the game is favoured by 1.5 goals. To cover the line, the favourited team needs to win by two or more. Bettors can bet for or against this line. Puck Line betting is available on just about every operator from Funbet to GGBet.
- Total: The Total is a line that projects the total number of goals that will be scored in a hockey team between both teams combined. Bettors can bet the over, meaning the teams will combine for more goals or the under. Totals are available on the vast majority of operators, like Betway, Sports Interaction, and 888Sport.
- Futures/Outrights: Futures/Outrights are bets on long-term occurrences. They are bets on things that take time to develop, such as who will win the Stanley Cup or the Hart Trophy. Outrights can be found on just about every operator out there, but what the markets are depends on the sportsbook.
- Game Props: Game Props are markets that are on events within the game that may not have a direct impact on the outcome. Game Props can be on things like who will win a period, who will have more shots on goal, and who will have more penalties. They can be found on sportsbooks like Betway and 888Sport.
- Player Props: Player Props are similar to Game Props but are focused on individuals rather than teams. Player Props can be for anything from will Connor McDavid score a goal, will Mitch Marner have two or more points, and so on. These are rarer markets that can be found on sportsbooks like Sports Interaction and Betway.
- Parlay Betting: A Parlay is when bettors tie several different bets under the umbrella of one. In order for a Parlay to hit, every aspect of the bet needs to hit. If you put together a seven-leg parlay and six legs hit, the bet doesn’t succeed.
Hockey betting rules
Every sport has different betting rules that can change the outcomes of a wager. With hockey betting, there are several different important ones to consider. Let’s look at some of the different hockey betting rules that bettors should be aware of.
- The game Must go 55 Minutes for Wager to Count.
- Overtime is included in all aspects of the bet (props, totals, Moneyline) unless otherwise stated.
- Shootouts don’t count towards Player or Game Props; however, they do add one goal to the total.
- The favourite must win by two or more to count as a win on the Puck Line
- For Player Props, the player must dress and appear in the game for the bet to have action
- For Odd/Even bets, if zero goals are scored in the game, it is settled as an Even
- If a match isn’t played on the listed date, all bets on that game are void
Top Leagues and tournaments
For Canadian bettors, there are a few leagues and tournaments that rise above the rest. Everyone has different tastes, but at the end of the day, certain leagues are popular for a reason.
Around the world, the KHL and the National League in Switzerland are two of the most popular leagues not in North America. However, the most popular leagues reside in Canada and the U.S.
The OHL, WHL, QMJHL, and NCAA are leagues for younger prospects that have many players who go on to become pros. These leagues are popular amongst Canadians, although many don’t follow. You can find odds on these leagues on operators like Fezbet, Sports Interaction, and more.
The biggest league is the National Hockey League or NHL. The NHL features the most talented players from around the world, with teams scattered across Canada and the U.S. It has the most electric talent in the sport, from Auston Matthews and Connor McDavid to Cale Makar and Victor Hedman.
The biggest hockey tournament is the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the NHL’s postseason tournament to determine who will be crowned champion. Sixteen teams enter to compete in a best of seven series, culminating in the Stanley Cup Finals between the two final teams remaining, one from each Conference.
Other popular tournaments include the Olympics, which is where the International talent faces off against each other, and the World Juniors, where the best young players face off against each other in an international competition.
What Bookmakers Offer the Best Hockey Bonuses?
In my opinion, the best hockey bonuses can be found on Betway. Betway has a You Lead, You Win bonus for NHL games, so if a team gets a 2-0 lead, bettors automatically win the bet. They also have boosted odds and numerous other bonuses specific to NHL betting that can lead to massive payouts for bettors.a
Is Hockey Betting Easier or Harder Than Other Sports?
Hockey betting may be more difficult than other sports. This is in large part due to the nature of the game, where any team can win on any given night. In football or basketball, typically, the best team wins. In hockey, while the better team often triumphs, it is a sport where one moment can completely change a whole game, so it is less predictable than others.
What are Important Things to Know Before Betting on a Game or Player?
Before betting on a game or a player, do your research. How have they been performing? How has the team they are playing against performing? Information is your ally when hockey betting. Check out goaltending, performance trends, team and player statistics, and try and give yourself as much info as possible before you put down any money.
What are the Best Hockey Leagues to Bet On?
The best hockey league to bet on for Canadians has to be the NHL. This is the biggest and most well-known league, with the highest level of talent. More betting sites have odds and markets on this league than any other, so you can find better options out there for NHL betting.
What are the Best Hockey Betting Sites?
The best hockey betting site will depend on you! What you enjoy may not be what I enjoy. While Betway, Sports Interaction, Shangri La, 888Sport, and others have top-notch reputations, you won’t know until you try. So get out there, experiment with different options, and find the best sportsbook for your hockey bets!
- MyBetting Canada
- Hockey Betting Sites in Canada - A User’s Guide