American football is a well-recognized sport that draws a lot of attention from fans in Canada. If you’re among the millions of Canadians who love to wager on the NFL, the NCAA or battle it out in the AFL, we’ve compiled a list of some of the leading football betting sites in Canada. These platforms don’t just offer competitive odds, they also feature numerous betting markets with impressive bonuses that would double your winning chances. Stick around as we dive into the full details.
Best Football Betting Sites in Canada
How to Choose The Best Football Betting Site
When it comes to football betting, there are lots of features to consider when choosing the best bookmaker. For most players, it’s all about the betting markets. Does the bookie support parlay bets, point spreads, futures or Moneyline? For other players, it’s about bonuses and promotions.
Regardless of what your interests are, here are some of the most important factors to look out for.
- Football Betting Offers & Promotions: As a new player, welcome bonuses are very important to get you started. When choosing the best football betting site, ensure the operator offers a decent welcome package. The welcome offer could be a deposit bonus, a no deposit bonus or free bets depending on your preference. In addition, the bookie should run promotions for loyal players all year round. But remember to read the bonus terms.
- Coverage Of Tournaments & Leagues: Though American football is quite popular in Canada, some betting sites fail to offer enough tournaments. This is why it is important to opt in for a platform that covers major leagues like the NFL, the NCAA, the AFC and many more.
- Mobile Compatibility: Mobile compatibility is one of the main factors to consider when choosing the best football betting site. A reliable platform should offer a fully optimized website that runs smoothly on Android and iOS devices. The bookie should also provide a standalone app available for download across all platforms.
- Markets, Bet Types, Odds: Markets are simply how bets are placed. They represent what you're betting on. When choosing a football betting site, make sure the platform offers enough betting markets to cover all your favourite leagues. As a standard, popular markets like spreads, totals, futures, and props should be supported.
Our Top recommended Football betting sites
After testing out numerous football betting sites in Canada, we have listed five of the top-performing sites suitable for Canadians. These bookies meet our high standards when it comes to online football betting. Here are our recommendations:
Launched in 2008, 888Sport is a top-tier sportsbook created to impress football betting fans. This platform offers lots of competitive odds for major matches in the NFL. Players on the site can place in-play bets and stream all their favourite football matches on their desktop devices. In terms of betting markets, 888Sport offers enough options. Spread, Totals, Rushing yards, Passing completion, Sacks and moneyline are some of the betting markets available at the moment. If you decide to register on the platform as a new player, you’ll be rewarded with a 100% match up bonus of up to $300. To activate this offer, simply make an initial deposit of at least C$10.
As an ardent football betting fan, Shangri La is one the best online bookies to gamble on your favourite football team. Shangri La supports live football betting and live streaming of major games in the NFL. Within the NFL league are diverse betting markets like Moneyline, Player’s Props, Game Props and Totals. New players on the site get to kick-start their adventure with a match bonus of 100% up to C$500. This bonus package comes with a 7x wagering requirement.
Betway is a mainstay in the global online gambling scene. This award-winning football betting site runs endless bonus promotions throughout the year, with new players getting their first deposit matched up with up to C$200 cash prize. As expected from a bookie of this stature, Betway supports traditional and live football betting.
With over two decades of experience, Bodog is one of the most reliable NFL sportsbooks in Canada. Bodog offers a wide selection of football betting options on its stylish and simplistic website. Players can bet on upcoming games in the NFL, College Football, CFL and many more. Upon signing up to the platform, you'll get a $400 match up bonus to try on the hundreds of betting lines available on the site.
Owned and operated by Araxio Development N.V, FEZbet is one of the safest Canadian football betting sites. You can bet on football, tennis, basketball, and ice hockey in the sportsbook section. Although this might seem limited, the markets are spread across most international competitions. If you're a new punter, the bookie gives you a 100% deposit bonus of up to C$150 for making a C$30 deposit.
Best Football betting app
Though most Canadian bookies offer a mobile-optimized website, some platforms take things up a notch by providing a unique football betting app available on Android and iOS devices.
Here are the three best Football betting apps to check out:
888Sport Mobile App - To ensure all-around satisfaction, 888Sport offers a smooth and easy-to-use mobile app available for Android and iOS users. The mobile app is responsive and free from lags, slow loading times and server issues.
GGBet Mobile App - Featuring an orange and black theme, GGBet Football app is a user-friendly app available for players on Android and iOS devices. The app offers a wide range of sporting events including American football, Soccer, Rugby and many more. With the mobile app, players can make deposits and withdrawals with the click of a button.
BetWay Mobile App - With over a million downloads and counting, BetWay mobile is certainly one of the best betting apps to use if you fancy a flawless mobile gambling experience. BetWay mobile app features an intuitive interface with lots of impressive features. Players can bet on diverse sporting tournaments including the NFL.
Top Football betting sites features
Now let's look at what attributes make the best football betting apps in Canada.
Boosted Football Odds
Rather than offering regular odds available on most sites, top football betting sites should provide boosted football odds to attract football fans to their platforms. With these boosted odds, players would be able to win massive payouts without having to risk too much money on an NFL or NCAA match.
Live Football Betting
Top Canadian bookies should support in-play football betting on their platforms. This would allow players to be able to place informed wagers on their favourite teams as the action unfolds. As impressive as this sounds, this feature should be avoided by newbies due to its high volatility. Only experienced players should attempt in-play betting.
The Cash Out feature is another impressive feature available on top football betting sites. With the cash out feature, players can reduce their losses or gain a payout from an NFL or College Football match before it ends.
Live Football Streaming
To complement in-play betting, top football betting sites should support live streaming services on their site. The live streaming feature should be available on all Football leagues and tournaments.
Best Betting Sites Offers and Promotions
A well-packaged reward can make or break the deal, and football bookies know this fact pretty well. For this reason, bookmakers in Canada offer bonuses to new and loyal players to attract and keep them happy.
Listed below are the main types of bonuses you'll find at the best Canadian football betting sites:
Although rare, some Canadian betting sites offer a no-deposit welcome bonus to football bettors on its site. As the name hints, this is an incentive for new players after signing up successfully. You don't need to deposit anything to claim the reward. However, most no deposit bonus comes with strict conditions that are quite hard to fulfil.
A deposit bonus is the most widespread welcome reward in the online gambling industry. In this case, you claim the welcome package after making a minimum deposit. A good example is FEZbet, which offers new punters 100% up to C$150 welcome reward after making a qualifying deposit of C$30. As expected, there are terms and conditions to be met before withdrawals are possible.
Every football oddsmaker worth its salt runs a loyalty program. And top of the list is cashback or rebate. In this type of bonus, the bookie refunds a certain percentage of net losses. For instance, Shangri La players get a 10% weekly cashback for their total losses. But like other football casino bonuses, carefully read the bonus terms.
A reload bonus is a loyalty program offered to players after making a minimum deposit. Here is how it works; players who deposit money into their accounts get the reward. This bonus can be available daily, weekly, or monthly. An example is FEZbet's 50% weekly reload bonus. Here, players get 50% up to C$750 for making a qualifying deposit of C$30.
Most football betting bookies offer loyal gamers a chance to become VIP players and continue spending on the brand. The loyalty program isn't for budget players, but the benefits are outstanding. Let's take a look at Tonybet's VIP program, for example. You'll acquire points after placing bets and move up the ladder. In return, you can exchange the points for free rewards at the end of each month.
How to bet on Football
If you’re entirely new to football betting, there are a few things you need to know to get started. First on the list is betting markets. Betting markets or bet types are specific outcomes of an upcoming match or tournament. It could be a simple bet that predicts whether a team would lose or win in a match, or it could be something complicated as a point spread on an NFL game.
Markets, bet types, and odds
Betting markets come with different odds and vary based on the betting site. Here are some betting types:
- Moneyline: Moneyline is the most common football betting type in Canada and the world of gambling in general. Players simply select a team and predict whether it will win or lose. For instance, a bookie can give Hamilton Tiger-Cats -180 to beat BC Lions at +180. Here, you win C$100 if you bet C$180 on Hamilton Tiger-Cats. On the other hand, wager C$100 on BC Lions to pull off an upset and win C$180.
- Spread betting: Besides the straightforward "win/lose" moneyline bet, you can predict more precise outcomes with spread betting. For example, the spread for the football match above can be -3.8 for the favourite and +4.0 for the underdog. This means Hamilton Tiger-Cats need to win by more than 3.8 points to win the bet. On the flip side, BC Lions only need a win or a score within 3.5 points.
- Prop bets: Prop bets or proposition betting is a more granular option. In this bet, you'll simply predict specific player or team performance. In other words, it doesn't have anything to do with the final outcome. Popular Canadian football prop bets include receiving yards, passing yards, rushing yards, touchdowns, receptions, and interceptions. This can be Yes/No or Over/Under.
- Over/Under bets: Sometimes called Totals, Over/Under is football betting where punters predict both teams' combined outcome. Just say, you'll need to predict if the total score will be higher or lower than the points set by the bookmaker. Sticking with the example above, the bookie can set the total points at 49.5. Then, they proceed to give Over -110 and +115 for Under.
Football Betting Rules
First of all, there is no one-size-fits-all for football betting rules. That's because the rules can vary on different football betting apps. However, some CFL betting rules cut across the whole game, regardless of where you're betting at.
Below are some standard CFL rules to note when betting at the best Canadian football betting sites:
- The game must proceed for at least 55 minutes to count as an action.
- If you place a penalty prop wager, declined spot-kicks don't count.
- For player prop bet to count, the player must complete at least one touchdown. This is when a player crosses the opposition's goal line with the ball or catches the ball in the end zone.
- Wagers on injured players always have action and are settled depending on their participation.
- There are two football teams, each with 11 players, except for CFL teams which have 12 players. This means the field is bigger in CFL than NFL.
Top Leagues and Tournaments
The Canadian Football League has two divisions. It's also worth noting that each division has fewer teams than the NFL. Let's look at the teams and divisions below:
The East Division and its teams have been in existence even before the CFL was founded in 1958. This division consists of four teams, namely:
- Montreal Alouettes: Winner of 7 Grey Cups located in Percival Molson Memorial Stadium.
- Hamilton Tiger-Cats: Located in Tim Hortons Field, this team has won 8 Grey Cups.
- Toronto Argonauts: The team's home ground is BMO Fields and has scooped an impressive 17 Grey Cups so far.
- Ottawa Redblacks: TD Place Stadium is their home turf, and they have won one Grey Cup.
The West Division was also founded before the CFL. It has five competing teams, including:
- BC Lions: Six-time Grey Cup winner located at BC Place.
- Edmonton Elks: The team's home ground is Brick Field at Commonwealth Stadium and has won the Grey Cup 14 times.
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers: IG Field is the team's home ground and is the current Grey Cup champion. The team has won the cup 10 times.
- Saskatchewan Roughriders: This CFL team calls Mosaic Stadium their home ground and is a 4-time Grey Cup winner.
- Calgary Stampeders: A 7 times Grey Cup winner based in the McMahon Stadium.
Which bookmaker offers the best football betting welcome bonus?
To be honest, all bookmakers on this list offer tantalizing welcome rewards. However, Shangri La's 100% up to C$500 bonus stands tall. That's not enough; the bookie offers you 20 free spins to try on Play'n Go's Book of Dead.
Is football betting legal in Canada?
Betting on any sports is absolutely legal in Canada. Up until August 2021, punters could only place parlay bets. But the parliament revised its Criminal Code to allow all types of betting. So, go ahead and join the best football betting sites in Canada.
What type of football betting markets are available to Canadians?
There are numerous ways to wager on football at Canadian betting apps. For beginners, consider the traditional spreads, totals, and moneyline bets. However, reliable bookies also offer futures, props, and outrights to seasoned bettors. It's nothing complicated, by the way!
Does overtime apply in football betting
In football markets like moneyline, props, point spreads, and props, overtime applies. However, overtime doesn't count in half and quarter totals.
What is Esports betting?
Esports is a modern type of betting taking football betting sites by storm. In this type of betting, players bet on simulation contents with similar markets to traditional betting. You can bet on esports teams in FIFA, NFL, MLS, and NBA. You can also get markets on video games like DOTA 2, League of Legends, and CS: GO.
- MyBetting Canada
- Best Football Betting Sites in Canada