eSports are gaining in popularity, especially on sports betting sites. In this guide, you'll learn more about eSports, their prevalence on sportsbooks, how you can wager on your favorite games and much more.
Best Esports Betting Sites in Canada 2023
Top Esports Betting Sites
eSports, short for electronic sports, have been gaining steam in recent years. They feature popular streaming gamers battling others or playing through games on their own. The biggest in the field garner hundreds of millions of views. It has become so popular that eSports betting in Canada has become very prevalent.
Before you can start making your bets on eSports betting sites, it helps to have a guide for what the phenomenon is all about. There are many who consider eSports to be the next wave in the future of sports betting. The trend has just gotten started and betting on eSports is still in its early stages. With some projecting rapid growth, it’s likely only a matter of time before betting on eSports dominates the sports betting headlines.
Still not convinced about how popular eSport have become? The industry generated more than $1 billion in 2019 and is growing quickly every year. Betting on eSports has subsequently exploded in popularity and has led to major sportsbooks covering eSports events like Overwatch, Fortnite, and League of Legends throughout the years.
Consider this your guide to everything eSports gambling related. That includes how to bet on eSports, the odds, placing bets, and everything that there is to know about the realm of eSports.
Is Betting on Esports Legal in Canada?
The good news is that betting on your favorite eSports matchups is totally legal. Each province has its own gaming authority, handing out licenses to qualified sportsbooks. Licensed sportsbooks can provide peace of mind to players, allowing them to play in confidence.
How We Compare the Top Esports Betting Sites?
Before you can worry about placing your eSports bets or finding the best odds, it helps to know what the best eSports betting sites are. There are a number of criteria that we consider when it comes to finding the best options for eSports betting in Canada.
- Reputation - The single most important thing to consider when learning how to get into eSports is finding a bookmaker that you can trust. Many of the top sportsbooks around should offer eSports and have a history of providing quality, reliable betting experiences.
Most of all, any of the eSports betting sites worth your consideration should be licensed from some betting jurisdiction. Having a sports betting license just proves the trustworthiness of the book and ensures that you have the most enjoyable sports betting experience possible.
- Available Leagues - Much like having a litany of sports betting markets available is a must, the same applies when learning to bet on eSports. Quality eSports betting sites will offer action from some of the top leagues and competitions around.
Some of the more popular options include Call of Duty, Fortnite, Overwatch, League of Legends, and more. Depending on the book, there can even be more niche offerings like Rocket League. If you are just getting started with the basics like “what is eSports,” then finding a sportsbook with a litany of options is going to be the best place to start.
Because betting on eSports is a relatively new phenomenon, some sportsbooks will only offer the bare minimum when it comes to leagues. Thus, finding one with a good offering is crucial.
- Esports Bonuses - The final thing to consider when looking for the best eSports betting sites is available bonuses. When you sign up for a sportsbook, you will find no shortage of bonus offerings. The best way to learn how to get into eSports is by starting with free bonus bets, risk-free bets, and more.
Esports Betting Canada: Top Sportsbooks
Now comes the million-dollar question: what are the best sites for eSports betting in Canada? Learning to bet on eSports is simple when you have a better idea as to which sportsbooks are the most reliable, trustworthy, and provide the most betting markets. Let’s take a look at the best betting sites for eSports.
Betway is one of the most trusted names in the world of eSports betting. For starters, they have a wide array of promotional offers for new players. That means being able to start betting on eSports with more money in your bankroll than otherwise possible.
Besides a bunch of eSports betting markets, Betway has complete sports coverage, featuring all of the top leagues across North America as well as international sports like racing and soccer. If that weren’t enough, their eSports odds are some of the best in the industry, allowing both new and experienced players a better chance to win.
Betway really stands out in its security for all players. They have a licensed, secure, encrypted service that keeps player information safe. That means peace of mind while you place wagers on all of your favorite eSports events. You would be hard-pressed to find a better sportsbook for eSports bets than Betway.
Sports Interaction is one of the top sports betting websites currently operating in Canada. It is also licensed, which gives players looking to place a bet on eSports the kind of peace of mind that they deserve. Simply put, if you are looking to find eSports betting in Canada, Sports Interaction is a great place to start.
Their selection of sports odds from around the globe is nearly unmatched. Players can bet on action from all the major sports leagues around the globe as well as a full slate of eSports leagues. The live betting platform, in particular, is something that has become a favorite for bettors everywhere.
As a fully licensed sportsbook, it is one of the most secure options there is. Players looking to get into eSports will find that Sports Interaction is one of the best options around.
888sport has made its way toward being near the top of the list when looking for the best eSports betting site. Part of this is due to their great promo offer, which includes a 100% deposit match bonus that allows players to build their bankroll before ever placing a bet.
888sport has some of the best sports odds and markets around, partially due to the fact that they work with providers like Kambi. By checking out the eSports section, players can check out a variety of events and tournaments from around the eSports world, all with great odds.
Betting on eSports is as easy as it gets with 888sport. Sign up today and take advantage of one of the best sign-up offers in the industry. That means having more funds to bet on all of the top eSports events and tournaments around.
Finding your favorite eSports odds can be quick and easy when using PowerPlay. The smooth interface allows players to get to all the top sports from around the globe like tennis, hockey, football, basketball, and soccer. There is also a separate eSports section for bettors to make their wagers.
There is a lot to like about PowerPlay, including their slate of live and upcoming eSports events. Bettors can see the matchup clearly, placing their wagers with just the click of a button. Perhaps best of all, PowerPlay accepts payment in a variety of ways, allowing players to make their deposit quickly and easily.
When it comes to finding the best eSports betting in Canada, PowerPlay has to be near the top of the list. A smooth, secure interface and top bonus offerings mean that players can get in on the top eSports betting action in a matter of minutes.
If you are looking for a full-service sportsbook that has the best sports and eSports odds around, look no further than Bet99. Though they are one of the newer players on the scene, they have become a favorite as a Canadian-run sportsbook.
Bet99 offers Canadian bettors comprehensive odds on major sports leagues like the NHL, NFL, NBA, and MLB. They will also have some of the best Super Bowl odds around when the largest sporting event in the world rolls around. That coverage spreads into the eSports realm, where Bet99 offers odds for some of the top eSports leagues in the world.
The interface and app are both very easy to navigate, making it simple for even inexperienced players to find the right wager. If you are looking to learn how to bet on eSports, there are few better options available than Bet99.
A comprehensive offering of eSports betting odds is needed to make the list of the best eSports betting sites around. Players looking for more options should definitely check out the offerings at Neo.Bet sportsbook sooner rather than later.
This sportsbook has popular eSports markets like DOTA 2, League of Legends, and CS:GO, offering great odds along the way. There are even available betting options for games like FIFA, StarCraft 2, Call of Duty, and Valorant, making it one of the most comprehensive eSports books on the market.
With a plethora of eSports markets and tournaments, not to mention a solid bonus offering, playing at Neo.bet is one of the safest bets you can make. Neo.Bet is fully licensed and offers a reliable, easy-to-use support service for all players. New players can get signed up in moments and start placing wagers on their favorite eSports.
Betsafe has come onto the scene as a solid option for eSports betting. There is a lot to like about this sportsbook for both regular sports and eSports. For starters, their odds are some of the best around, providing a great chance for bettors to win big.
With a multitude of payment methods, getting money in and out of your account has never been easier. The low withdrawal limits make it especially easy for players to cash in on winnings. If there is one downside to Betsafe it is that there are no eSports-based bonuses to take advantage of, which makes a few of the other books around a better option.
New players will find out quickly why Betsafe is on the short list of the best options for eSports betting in Canada. Sign up today and take advantage of some of the best odds in the eSports market.
Bettors looking for a huge array of sports and eSports betting options need to look no further than Truenorth.bet. In the relatively short time period that eSports betting has become popular, Truenorth.bet has become a reliable choice for players in Canada.
There is one especially cool feature that puts Truenorth.bet above the rest. There is a linked Twitch channel, allowing bettors to follow all of their favorite players and leagues in real-time, keeping up on the action as it unfolds.
The customer support is awesome and there are a number of crypto options for those looking for greater versatility in payment methods. As far as eSports betting in Canada goes, there aren’t many options around that are better than Truenorth.bet. Sign up today and take advantage of one of the top eSports betting sites in Canada.
GGBet is a great place to not only place your bet on eSports but to also follow along with the world of eSports. The design is simple, with separate groups of games on the taskbar on the left. This allows players to find what they are looking for in just a few short clicks.
Another thing that makes GGBet a great option for eSports bets is the welcome bonus offer. Players can get a 100% deposit match bonus of up to $200, allowing them to bolster their bankroll without having to place a single wager. It is a great way to get started betting on eSports whether you are new or experienced in that arena.
GGBet has many of the popular leagues and tournaments in the eSports realm. FIFA, Starcraft 2, Overwatch, Rainbow Six, League of Legends, Valorant, Rocket League, and King of Glory are all covered, featuring tournaments that have prize pools of $160,000 or more. As far as eSports books go, players would find it difficult to choose a better option.
BetVictor is a new face in the world of eSports betting but has become a reliable option for sports betting. With offerings in basketball, American Football, hockey, baseball, basketball, golf, and more, they have a huge array of sports betting markets.
What makes BetVictor stand apart from the competition is its user interface. It is one of the smoothest, easiest to use around. Everything is sorted in a taskbar on the left-hand side, with bet choices appearing in the middle portion of the page when clicked on.
BetVictor also has a mobile app with the same user interface, allowing bettors to place their wagers no matter where they happen to be. Getting into eSports betting can be easy when you sign up with BetVictor and start wagering today.
Best Esports Betting Features
With so many great sportsbooks out there to choose from, it is easy to feel uncertain. Knowing some of the top features around for eSports can provide a little clarity. Here are the top features that we look for.
- Leagues and Tournaments - The single most important aspect to consider. The best sportsbooks will not only have a plethora of titles but leagues and tournaments to follow and wager on including Overwatch, Fortnite, League of Legends, and more.
- Real Money Betting - The cool thing that you will notice about eSports betting is that there are different wager options. For most, that means being able to place a real money wager with your favorite eSports betting site. Depending on the odds of the book, you will find better odds from one book to the next.
- Skin Betting - While it is nice to bet money on your favorite eSports events, there is another cool feature known as skin betting. For games like Fortnite, Call of Duty, and other shooters, players can earn skins of all sorts. Betting those skins can offer players the chance to win skins they may not have otherwise earned.
How to Open an Account?
It is quite easy to get started with eSports betting in Canada. Consider this your step-by-step guide for getting started on the path toward winning big on the eSports that you love the most. Choosing a sportsbook might seem difficult but it comes down to a few key factors.
The best eSports sportsbooks should have a plethora of betting options. Top leagues and tournaments are all necessary. There is also the matter of security to consider as every player should feel safe when placing bets.
Here's how to open an account at esports betting websites:
To get started, click “join here” on the sportsbook of your choosing. You will be prompted to fill in your email and other essential information like name and address:
After you have filled in your information, the final part of the process is checking all of the terms and conditions. You must be 21 years or older and cannot be a casino employee. After that, it is as simple as clicking “create account” to finish your account creation.
How to Bet on Esports?
Now comes the important part when learning how to get into eSports. This is your breakdown into all of the essential information surrounding eSports betting. This section will cover the eSports odds, as well as some strategies, tips, and so much more.
Esports Betting Markets & Betting Types
One of the unique things about eSports betting sites is that they offer more ways to win. There are five ways in which to bet, depending on the book, that players can consider. Here’s a look at each of the five options:
- Real money betting: The most common form of betting. Place real money wagers on individual events and tournaments alike. Winnings vary depending on the odds.
- Skin betting: Many of the games that are part of eSports involve skins, be it for players or weapons in the game. Skin betting allows players to wager skins against the book or other players as they choose.
- Social betting: If you have friends who also enjoy betting on eSports, social betting is a great way to make a friendly wager. It can be for real money, skins, and other items.
- Fantasy betting: eSports are part of the daily fantasy sports realms as well. Players can build rosters using eSports players, entering contests with cash prizes, skins, and more.
- Challenge betting: A less friendly version of the social betting feature. Players can go one-on-one with each other for money, items, and skins. There may be entry fees involved here as they are part of the fantasy betting section.
Esports Odds Explained
Odds are how the sportsbook sees the outcome of an event. American format odds are the most popular in Canada and they work as follows.
In a matchup of two eSports players, there will be a favorite (denoted with a – symbol) and an underdog (denoted with a + symbol). The payouts are greater for plus odds versus minus odds; the greater the number in either direction, the greater the impact it has on a player’s bet. A higher number either way also means that the result is more/less likely as a result.
An important thing to keep in mind when looking for eSports betting in Canada is the payout percentage. The sportsbook can (but doesn’t necessarily) take a percentage of each wager. Check the payout percentage to find out how much you would earn for each bet. Finding sportsbooks that offer better odds with less vigorish for eSports betting markets is important.
Esports Betting Strategies & Tips
As is the case with sports betting, there are certain factors that can lead to success in the world of eSports betting. Here are just a few of the tips that can help you gain an edge on the competition and gain the best chance of winning big.
- Find Value - Odds are the name of the game when it comes to betting on eSports. Depending on the sportsbook that you choose, you will find greater value in one book over another. Learning how to find value can give your bets a better chance to win big and make a difference.
Part of this process involves comparing odds and doing a bit of line shopping. Having accounts with multiple sportsbooks can give you the best chance to maximize your winning potential.
- Do Your Homework - The key to being a successful bettor is to do your homework. Look for trends in particular games and events. Gather as much information as you possibly can to put yourself in the best possible position to win.
While it may be easy to tail a few known names in the eSports betting industry, doing your own legwork can give you better insight into betting on the events. It will also limit the number of times that you go into an event with little information, giving you an edge when it comes time to bet on eSports.
- Keep Records - There is no part of the betting process where you should go in blind. Keep records of your past bets and look at how you do. Knowing where you struggled, where you succeeded, and what changes can be made can lead to more consistent winnings.
Esports Leagues and Tournaments
Tournaments and leagues are a staple in the eSports world. It gives the best of the best a chance to compete against one another for prizes and cash. If you plan on getting into eSports, knowing which of the top tournaments and leagues is a great place to start.
- Electronic Sports League - The ESL involves different leagues and tournaments from around the globe. There are four main divisions, offering offline competitions, circuit events, region-based events, and open play (ESL Play) for players to vie for more than $12.5 million in prizes across 60 tournaments.
- Mobile Legends: Bang Bang Professional League - Mobile games are incredibly popular but still somewhat limited in terms of the eSports realm. Mobile Legends, made by Montoon, is as close to the PC game League of Legends as it gets, making way for one of the biggest eSports leagues on earth.
- Major League Gaming Pro Circuit - Major League Gaming offers a variety of leagues and tournaments, awarding nearly $10 million in prizes over the near two-decade history. They offer tournaments for major titles like Overwatch, Call of Duty, StarCraft, World of Warcraft, Diablo, and more.
- The International - Dota 2 is one of the biggest eSports titles in the world and The International is the top tournament in that world. It has the record for the highest prize pools in the industry, with the last tournament offering more than $40 million in winnings.
- League of Legends World Championship (Worlds) - This may be the most-watched event in eSports. Though it doesn’t offer the same in cash prizes, there are still millions of dollars at stake at the “Worlds” each year. The tournament averages nearly 200 million watched hours, making it one of the most viewed tournaments in the eSports world.
- Fortnite World Cup - Fortnite has finally made it to the global stage with this unique tournament that puts the best 200 players in the world against one another for more than $30 million in total prize money. Set up by Epic Games, the tournament features a solo and duo event with big winnings on the line.
Esports Games & Categories
There are eight different categories to cover, so let’s dive in with a brief explanation of each different eSports game type.
- Fighting games: Head-to-head games with kicking, punching, and special attacks. Super Smash Bros. Melee, Street Fighter V, and Mortal Kombat X are among the most popular.
- Racing games: Compete against one or several players in arcade-style or realistic simulations. Popular titles include iRacing, Need for Speed, and Mario Kart.
- Sports games: Simulation-style games of major sports like football, basketball, hockey, and more. Players can play against one another in singles matchups or tournaments. Madden, FIFA, and EA NHL are some of the most popular.
- Digital card games: Turn-based games where players can cast spells, perform actions, and attack using cards. Hearthstone is without a doubt the most popular in this format.
- Real-time strategy: Players compete against one another with elements like resources, technology, units, and buildings involved. Total war, Company of Heroes, and Age of Empires are the most popular offerings today.
- First-person shooter: First-person point-of-view camera angles using a weapon, typically a gun of some sort. Competition can be against other players or AI in limited or large arenas. Team Fortress, Call of Duty, and Halo is at the top of the list.
- Third-person shooter: Similar to first-person, just from a different point of view. Fortnite Battle Royale is one of the biggest third-person shooters on the market.
- Multiplayer online battle: Players generally work in teams in an area or battlefield, oftentimes with different objectives and goals. Dota 2, Battlerite, and League of Legends are the most popular in this class of eSports gaming.
Most Popular Esports Games
Anyone wanting to learn how to get into eSports should start with the most popular eSports games around. Though there are many eSports games to choose from, these are just a few of the most popular eSports games currently out.
Perhaps the most popular eSports game going now is Dota 2. Out since 2013, Dota 2 saw more than $220 million in prize money awarded in 2022. It is a multiplayer battle arena eSports game that comes from Valve.
Typically played in teams of five, players are tasked with defending their own area of the map. In order to win, one team has to destroy the “Ancient”, a structure that is located within the opposing team’s base.
The game has been a phenomenon since its release in 2017. A multiplayer game with different game modes – Save the world, Battle Royale, and Creative – players can compete in a team setting or player against player.
The game has also become a popular option because of the various skins implemented with each new season. Gamers can play as characters from other series and even as popular sports stars, giving it a unique look and feel, unlike many others.
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
First-person shooters are all the rage and Counter-Strike is near the top of the list. Another product from Valve, this is the fourth installment of the series and saw nearly $100 million in total prize money awarded in 2022.
The game comes down to two teams – the terrorists and counter-terrorists. The former plants a bomb and takes hostages while the latter must save them while also diffusing the bomb. Simple but popular around the globe.
👉 Learn more about CS:GO betting
Overwatch is another game that has entered the eSports realm after gaining global popularity with its release in 2016. Developed by Blizzard Entertainment, it is a first-person shooter that is played in teams of six.
Both sides have the goal of controlling different points on the map. They can also take a payload from one point to another on the map, all within a specific period of time. Though it was initially popular in Asia, it has become one of the top eSports games around the world.
League of Legends
League of Legends has been around for more than a decade, having been released in 2009. It is a real-time strategy game featuring multiplayer action and is one of the most popular eSports options across Asia.
There are two teams, either of three or five players and is quite similar to Dota 2 in terms of its gameplay. And like Dota 2, teams win by destroying a structure within the other team’s base known as a “Nexus.”
👉 Learn more about LoL betting
Esports Promotions & Bonuses
As is the case with sports betting, new players need to be on the lookout for bonus and promotional offerings. These are generally aimed toward new players, giving them an incentive for signing up with that particular book.
Two of the most common bonus types involve getting free bonus wagers back for making a qualifying bet or a deposit match bonus. Let’s take a closer look at the bonus types and why they make so much sense.
The first is the deposit match. This works by making a qualifying deposit. The book will then match that deposit up to a certain percentage or amount. It is a great way for new players to build their bankroll without having to make a bet of their own.
The other popular offering works like this: bet $5 on any event and win $50 in free wagers. The totals can vary depending on the book, but it is another means of boosting your bankroll without having to risk your own funds.
Taking advantage of these promotions is crucial. Winning consistently is hard enough as it is. When you have free wagers, using them smartly can help you to boost your winnings and create a better foundation for betting going forward.
What is Esports?
eSports is short for electronic sports. Like regular sports, eSports features competition between several players, sometimes with an audience of millions watching.
How to join an Esports team?
This is a lengthy process but is possible for anyone. Start by honing your skills in a specific game. Attend events and tournaments both locally and online. Create contacts, especially through social media. If you can develop skills that impress, there may be a role on an eSports team for you.
How are Esports betting odds calculated?
Just like sports betting odds, eSports odds are created by the bookmaker determining the probability of a certain event happening. Odds can change for each player or team depending on the event and tournament.
What games are available to bet on?
Depending on the book that you choose, there is any number of eSports events to bet on. The most popular games are Call of Duty, Dota 2, League of Legends, Overwatch, and Madden NFL.
What is Twitch?
Twitch is a streaming platform that gamers use in order to share their gaming experiences. Many sportsbooks will offer a Twitch streaming option to follow popular eSports events and tournaments.
How many people watch Esports?
eSports has become popular because of how many people watch. In 2021, an estimated 240 million people viewed eSports tournaments and events. The number is probably higher than that, which makes it a highly desirable market.
- MyBetting Canada
- Best Esports Betting Sites